Poor Cubbers wasn’t feeling well most of the weekend. His fever started on Friday night and although he wasn’t his usual cheery self, he still had an appetite. He put away a couple of bowls of mac n cheese at soup plantation, along with cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, olives, raisins, cheese, baked potato and vanilla yogurt. That night he woke up a couple of times with a little cough but nothing major.At 4:30am, he woke up crying and when I went into his room, he was sitting in his crib, clutching bunny looking very sad with tears rolling down his face. This instantly breaks my heart so I scooped him up and held him in my arms. Poor baby was burning up. I brought him into our bed and started getting his pajamas off while Rob took his temperature (99.6 degrees.) Our goal was to cool him down and help him feel more comfortable.
He took some infant ibuprofen to reduce the fever and got some water down to help with his dehydration. We laid in bed and I did my best to soothe him. He was wide awake and even though he wasn’t feeling well, he still had plenty of things to say. I told him that it was still night-night time and that we should go back to sleep. He responded by grabbing snuggles and saying “Mama! Dada’s bear!” “yes baby, that’s Dada’s bear, good job!” Then he cradled the bears head in his hand and shared his sippy cup with him. So cute.
Rob fell asleep and I was so relieved because it seemed his slight snoring was helping Dom fall asleep. They both got into a rhythm and finally I felt Dom give in and fall asleep. I realized I was almost falling off the bed (California King, mind you!) but there was no way I was going to scoot Dom over so I could have some more room. I managed to balance on the side of the mattress and closed my eyes, falling back asleep with my baby in my arms.
By morning, Dom’s fever had gone down but he was still not himself. We laid in bed chatting when all of a sudden he reminded me that it was Rob’s birthday! “Mammy, Dada’s bday!” We had been practicing “happy birthday to you” for several weeks, and now was our big moment. We sang to Rob and Dom did a great job of singing along too. He looked very proud of himself and of course clapped at the end.
His fever was up and down all day and he had zero appetite. Rob and I were thinking about cancelling going out that night, but Dom was SO EXCITED about going to Yia YIa and Bapou's house, we just crossed out fingers and hoped he would stay fever free.
Dom kept asking me ALL DAY about going to Yia Yia and Bapous house. Finally, after his nap I asked him if he wanted to help me pack his suitcase. Of course he said “YEA!” and proceeded to grab his Diego backpack and fill it with various books and toys. Then he grabbed his wheely suitcase and headed for the hallway. “Garage! Garage!” Ok, when did he learn that word? He was knocking on the door trying to turn the handle to get out. He wasn’t very happy when I him we still had another 2 hours before we were going over there.
Finally the time came and I dropped him off at my Mom and Dad’s. He was so happy to be there, and the great news is that his fever didn’t come back and he slept through the night. The bad news is that he threw up in the morning and still wasn’t feeling great.
We brought him home on Sunday and the whole day was a very emotionally exhausting one. His fever went up and down in waves and there were moments throughout the day where he was in a lot of pain. He’d be ok one minute, and then crying out the next. It was horrible to watch, especially when he was crying “Mama, nooooo!!!” while big fat tears rolled down his cheeks. It was the absolute worst feeling in the world, to see him in pain like that. It was breaking my heart that I couldn’t take the pain away and make him happy again. I tried to comfort him but he didn’t want anyone to touch him at that moment. Then it would be over and he’d be ok. It was a long and tiring day for all of us. Thankfully he slept through the night, waking up at 5:30am. Again, he didn’t want to eat breakfast.
This is day 3 of him not eating much. I think he’s had about one banana, some strawberries and grapes the entire time. Hopefully he feels better soon and can get a whole meal into his tummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment